Relationships

friends dating friends' ex's

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
jwasafrog On September 18, 2010

, California
#1New Post! Jan 03, 2007 @ 22:59:42
Just a quick question.

If two people break up, and it wasn't exactly a "good" breakup, what is the general rule for
someone who was friends with both of them about asking one of them out?

Hopefully that makes sense.

For example. If a girl breaks up with a guys is it ok for one of that guy's friends to ask her
out? If it is, when?

It seems like there's a lot of different views on this, so lots of opinions are appreciated.

Oh, and just one more thing to consider separatly. What if the guy who wanted to ask the girl
out actualy advised the girl to break up in the first place? Seems a little underhanded to me,
but what do you all think?
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 03, 2007 @ 23:06:07
um im actually going out on sunday with my friends ex, but it was quite a good break up and she doesn't technically know, but it was like 8 months ago they broke up and she's not really as good a friend as she once was
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#3New Post! Jan 03, 2007 @ 23:28:27
uh, I would not dare to mess with a friends ex, especially a close friend. My friends ex wanted to date me before and he was a good guy but I just couldn't do that to her.. but that could also be a girl thing. Not sure how guy's take it with their ex's and friends.. some just don't care both guys and girls. If I thought about it and I had a bad breakup with my ex then my best friend was dating him I would be fuming because then I have to deal with this idiot all the time.. theres many ways on looking at the situation.. but if he also advised her to breakup with him then that could be different.. depends on how close the relationship was also.. hmm..
pinksparklystars On October 08, 2015

Austin, Texas
#4New Post! Jan 03, 2007 @ 23:42:50
Never Ever Ever Ever Date A Friends Ex or A Friends Crush Ever!!!!!

It will NEVER work right!!! Unless you and the other person are not that good of friends.

I tell you this from tons of horrifing experiance.
garfunkel On December 29, 2008
my beautiful rescue

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#5New Post! Jan 03, 2007 @ 23:57:09
I couldn't ever go out with one of my friends ex's. It just wouldn't feel right. I couldn't do that to my friend.
mystery_gamer On May 04, 2011

Perth, Australia
#6New Post! Jan 04, 2007 @ 02:18:49
wouldnt it depend on how tight your relationship with your friend and their ex b?so like if you only saw each other every so often then it wouldnt be a problem would it?
pinksparklystars On October 08, 2015

Austin, Texas
#7New Post! Jan 04, 2007 @ 03:09:16
i would call that more of an acquaintance then a friend. If you consider that person friend do not date their past boyfriends/girlfriends and do not date their crushes.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#8New Post! Jan 04, 2007 @ 03:16:34
ouch, depends on which you value more, the girl or the friend?.
i know from experience that sometimes you just have to, like if she's the love of your life.
like you said, there are alot of different views on this and that goes for the ex-boyfriend too.
you'll have to ask and see if he minds, then decide what'll happen.
joni On January 20, 2009

Good old Ashe County, North Ca
#9New Post! Jan 04, 2007 @ 03:19:52
That's definately not cool. But if both relationships are strong enough, you could work through it.
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#10New Post! Jan 04, 2007 @ 03:23:11
Um I don't know what everyone else does but I've always had guidelines with most of my friends , we do not date each other's exes. I'm not saying that it is wrong or underhanded or whatever to do so but it's just not for me. A friend is a lot more vaulable to me than a guy. My motto is and has always been, "guys come and go but friends are forever". It has always worked for me.

I do realize however, that some relationships are just short lived and then another friend becomes interested in this person , blah blah blah , still I stand my ground, "if you've dated my friend, you're off limits.

I dated a guy once for more than a year and I ended up falling for his best friend. It hurt the guy really bad and the best friend ended up being an a** anyway so I learned the hard way I guess. Not that I wanted the first guy back or anything , but what I had with his friend certainly was not worth breaking up their friendship over and I'm sorry that happened.
littleozzybloke On June 19, 2008

Sunshine coast, Australia
#11New Post! Jan 04, 2007 @ 03:25:13
playing with fire....play with matches....someone will get burnt..
jwasafrog On September 18, 2010

, California
#12New Post! Jan 04, 2007 @ 03:34:17
Ok, maybe there aren't as many different views as I though.

Well, in this situation, everyone was pretty good friends with eachother: the
boyfriend, the ex and the other guy. So, I don't know if that changes anything,
but yeah, sounds like I'm only getting one response.
mystery_gamer On May 04, 2011

Perth, Australia
#13New Post! Jan 04, 2007 @ 03:59:18
ive been fine with friends dating my xs and theyve been fine with me.but we go to the mall together and its all good.we flirt with each other and stuff and talk and every1s good with it and dont care.but go with your gut if you think its the right thing to do.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs